Tuesday, May 30, 2023

Business Analyst in 2023? (February 23, Thursday 9:00am)

            The time stamp was February 23 of this year but I applied for this post back in November of last year. Maybe at the time that I drafted this, I had no knowledge yet that I didn't get the post. 

            Today is May 30, Tuesday at 12:47pm. It's been 3 months since I last drafted this entry with the intent to pour out my thoughts about it. Nothing was triggering any thoughts for me to start this. I have forgotten all about this already until I saw it again today. 

              I didn't get the post. Claims IM took me in and I'm now in what they call DC which is like A-Bay. It's a back office campaign and I have a new family. So many things have happened by now and I can say that I am having so much fun with this group until last week happened. It propelled me to look back at this though and I guess it triggered me to finally publish this entry. 

            The Business Analyst interview went really well. There were two of them who did my interview. I think he's the team manager and another female whom I think is either his division leader or another team manager. The interview was fluid. My personality came out naturally and I can tell my charm captivated them both because we were laughing towards the end of the interview. The interview didn't feel like it was an interview. It was like we were talking like old time friends who have one common ground and that we had to be professional because it was a work setting. They had to give feedback after the interview so I had to give them time to brainstorm with their evaluation. After 15 minutes, they pinged me so I can dial back in. "You wowed us!", the female said. They were complimenting me! This happened 3 months ago so I no longer remember the exact details of their feedback but in a nutshell, I thought they were patronizing me. I asked them outright, "Are you declining me? Is this your way of telling me I didn't get it?" The male interviewer told me that they see me as someone who can manage a team. "Why would you be a 500 if you can be a 600?", he said. That's not a metaphor, but a job grade with the corresponding base pay, roles and responsibilities. There's 500 series which may be a managerial position in some LOB's but admin tasks in some but it has lower base pay compared to 600 series. A business analyst post is a 502. The latter is managerial position with greater base pay, roles and responsibilities like a team manager or a trainer. "I feel like you're declining me." I told them. They clearly advised though that the result will only be determined after all candidates have been interviewed and that what they're giving me is merely a feedback of our interview. 

            In hindsight, I realized I wasn't for a business analyst post. The role is sort of "solitary". It doesn't involve any team but data, graphs, numbers, analytics and excel. I don't think I would be able to stand that kind of work setting. I am happy where I am right now and recent events pivoted me to look back at this.

No comments: